Friday 20 May 2011

RSA presentation 18.05. runner up

the FREE unit took it all :)))) 
RARA - winner
Vernes & I - runners up




Make some shit and make it Beautiful.











This is what I had: 















 












I did get questions: 




Q: So is this project about a social space, could you elaborate on the pavement? Are you taking it further? Creating more public space? 
Ba: Yes, in my thesis, you are welcome to our summer show to have a look at the finished project. 


Q: How did you come to the decision about teaching people
Ba: I was told in Mex, not to make building, but teach how to, for when I am gone. 
Also as Nabeel said earlier, it is a great market (the 95% of the population of the planet, currently not using the services of architect), but it is a different market. Micro finance market.  
I dont think anyone should be given stuff for free. The pavement with the manual for £0.99 is just a teaser to give an idea that an access to a method for nominal fee could work in deprived areas as the numbers are huge and there is no point designing every window, rather cover the basics, the strategy, the safety. 


Q: so there is not a building design at the end of your project? 
Ba: no. does it have to be? 


Q: Is this architecture
Ba: I dont care :) 



Q: are you a toolmaker? 
Ba: yep, ish. I didnt just sit down and make a tool out of the air. I "designed" the pavement (i mean its not complicated), but yes I drew up the end result and from it - back to the beginning I have made the tool to be able to make the end result. So its somewhat tool making. Somewhat strategy making explained in simple language. 
So instead of desighning it and then drawing it up in technical architectural convention, for a client who would have to hire a builder who would then be translating this arch. convention to unskilled labourers. I have skipped that bit and spent time explaining/making manual so that the 'unskilled labourer' = client understands. 

Q: when you were talking about the CHUD, who are they? would this be a charitable project? Or are they developers? Where are they based?
Ba: they are by Texas A&M , so in Austin I would think. 
Centre for Housing and Urban Development are an organization distributing funds to programs to help colonias, i.e. Tamu water project. 


Q:  how would I make sure the whole community would get involved 
Ba: wouldnt, leaders would emerge


Ba: who is the developer in the panel? Do you think if I was going to pitch it to you, as a developer, 
that you would buy in? The idea that a developer provides public space and 'superstructure' for FAB LAB, for people to build their homes? 
Panel: yes, if it increased the land value. 


Q: when would the community need me (as an architect) - i.e. where is my job ?
Ba: I ll find out when I get there





2 comments:

  1. Hi Bara,

    Really nice to meet you. Congratulations again!

    Best, Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. heiiiii Alison!
    so nice to meet you too!
    let me know when you are next in Londonosos.

    All best to you too!

    ReplyDelete