Sunday 3 February 2013

02JAN - F-1 student visa saga

On the 2nd of January I was finally granted student visa to pursue a PhD in architecture at Texas A&M.

The whole process started with application to the program on December 15th 2011, half a year after graduating from London Met:
- Statement of Purpose
- Resume
- Outline PhD proposal

The following had to be provided subsequently:
- all official transcripts and diplomas from all universities attended ( 4 in my case) in English and in original language
- three letters of recommendation
- GRE test to a TAMU minimum standard ( test in FEB 2012 to submit results it in time to qualify for scholarships starting in AUG 2012 at TAMU)

Once I was admitted and offered a GAT position in JUL 2012, I had to clear the ISS (immigration procedures), it was very soon clear that I will not make the AUG 2012 Fall semester
- various immigration questionnaires and passport/visa status information
to obtain THE I-20 document necessary:
- evidence of finances available for 1 year in the USA, which was an epic exercise including bank statements dating 3 months back, numerous forms, statements and letters by my 'sponsors'
The actual form I-20 has to arrive from university by 'analogue' post as the embassy requires original - it was possible to ship 2 A4 peices of paper from Texas to London in 3 days. (for about $90)
- The visa appointment with the US embassy cannot be scheduled without the I-20 physically in hand, however, it is possible if one knows the exact day of the start of the semester.

The appointment at the US embassy revolved around finances, as that is the point where the actual assessment takes place.
From then it takes 5 business days to process and 1 buss day to deliver.

And that was it, I could start arranging housing arrangements, travels, etc.

12th January - departure date, direction: Houston
indeed a day full of emotions.


No comments:

Post a Comment